10 Tips to Prevent Shoveling Injuries
With our first big snow fall here, snow removal becomes a big job. Shoveling can be a great workout as you spend time in the fresh air. Unfortunately, shoveling causes many injuries! Take time to protect and prepare yourself for shoveling.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Do some light movement or stretching before you head outside
- Have boots with good traction (add accessories if needed)
- Keep your feet apart for a sturdy base
- Never lift or twist with your back! Bend at your hips and knees keeping your back straight.
- Use a lightweight shovel that fits you.
- Move small amounts of snow and push it rather than lift.
- Take breaks, shoveling is a form of exercise. Give your body time to recover.
- Stay hydrated, drink water
- Stay warm
- Listen to your body! If you start to get sore or experience any pains take a break and ask someone for help.
Let’s stay healthy this winter!